National Farmer’s Market week is August 7-13th. This designated time is to celebrate and bring awareness to farmers, ranchers and businesses related to local agriculture. Why are farmer’s markets so popular when your local grocery stores offer a wide variety of similar products in one place? The attraction of going to a farmer’s markets goes beyond just an offering of produce. Most markets include items like baked goods, fresh eggs, soaps and canned goods such as jams and pickles. Farmer’s markets offer the consumer a wide variety of products that families, farms, ranches, and businesses bring. Farmers markets are a big part of the history of the United States. Your local farmer’s markets offer a glimpse into the past. Demonstrating just how rural commerce was done since trade began between the Puritans and the Indians.
So why not try one out? Here are 4 reasons why you should go to your local farmer’s market every chance you get!
- Supports local economy and farming and ranching families: When you shop at farmer’s markets, you are supporting local families, farms, ranches and businesses, in addition to boosting your local economy. Shopping local is a great way to meet area producers who can provide products to your family all year long.
- Fresh and seasonal: Fresh just taste better. So, while walking around a farmer’s market, you can see all the fresh, seasonal possibilities for snacks or dinner.
- An affordable variety: At farmer’s markets, many booths offer the same types of products. If you like to bargain shop this allows you to find comparable fruits and vegetables for the best price.
- Social: Local farmer’s markets can be fun and social. You can make it a fun trip for the family. Make it an educational trip for the kids by talking to the vendors about how they grow or produce their products. Most are happy and excited to share in the process. Once you purchase something, have your kids taste it! You can’t do that at the local store! The kids will remember that experience for a lifetime.
Though the reasons to shop at a farmer’s market are convincing, you may wonder where you will be able to find one near you. Here is a list of just a few of the local farmer’s markets.
- Wharton County Farmer’s Market
- Columbus Farmer’s Market
- Beaumont Farmer’s Market
- Froberg’s in Alvin, TX
- Mont Belvieu Farmer’s Market
- Kingwood Farmer’s Markets
- Downtown Farmer’s Market Victoria
If you live in or very close to the city of Houston, check out these:
- Canino’s Produce and Farmer’s Market
- Central City Co-Op
- City Hall Farmers Market
- Farmers Market at Clear Lake Shores
- Houston Farmers Market at Rice Village
- Urban Harvest Farmers Market
So, get outside and go to your local farmer’s market this weekend! Not only will you be supporting your local economy, but it will also be fun!